A few weeks ago, I shared this post with my email subscribers and I was blown away by their response so I wanted to share it here on my blog as well.
The biggest mistake you're making with your healthy eating? If you think it's all about what you eat, you've forgotten that what is far more important is how you eat. Yep, it's time to take a look at how you behave when you sit down for a meal.
Bringing your awareness to your eating is incredibly powerful. For me, it was a crucial step in overcoming binge eating. When I first tried this exercise I was amazed at how unconsciously I had been eating. I realised that I wasn’t chewing my food enough and that I was mindlessly eating my whole serving without stopping when I’d had enough.
The great thing is, mindful eating is easy and enjoyable! I love the connection I feel to my body when I eat mindfully and that I am tapping into my body’s innate wisdom of what to eat and how much to have.
No more bingeing, no more food guilt!
So how do you do it? Simple: this week, make time to enjoy a meal that you really love. If possible, have it at home or in a quiet and relaxed environment and follow these steps:
- Before you eat, take a moment to give thanks for your meal. Enjoy the way it looks and how yummy it smells.
- Take small bites, placing your cutlery down between each mouthful.
- Concentrate on chewing your food to liquid before swallowing.
- Consciously check in with how the food is making you feel – do you feel peaceful, energised, happy, satisfied?
- Stop eating when you are satisfied but not full. If you’ve followed steps 1 to 4, this will happen naturally.
The more you practice presence when you eat, the more natural it will become. You will be allowing your body to tell you what it needs to be nourished and effortlessly create healthy eating habits.
I'm so excited to hear how this exercise goes for you - mindful eating is seriously life-changing stuff - so let me know in the comments below.
Lots of love,